Shashuka Eggs with Salad Cress
You Will Need
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and cut into 5mm dice
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 330g tomato sauce or passata
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp parmesan or pecorino, freshly grated
- 2 punnets salad cress
Give your Shashuka Eggs a little salad cress kick with this protein-packed recipe. Tangy tomatoes, fiery chillies, runny eggs and peppery cress create a simple yet extremely effective meal. The one-pot dish is perfect for sharing with your loved ones and can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, jalapenos and chilli flakes until softened and golden, about seven minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce or passata and bring to the boil. For a lighter sauce you could use a tin of chopped tomatoes. Stir in one punnet of chopped salad cress. Turn down the heat and gently add the eggs. If you are a little nervous about doing this, break the eggs into separate ramekins first. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the eggs are set as desired – about five to six minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with the parmesan. Allow to cool for three to four minutes. Garnish with the remaining punnet of salad cress and serve with crusty bread.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes