Creamy Coconut and Carrot Soup with Salad Cress
You Will Need
- 2 punnets salad cress, reserving a ¼ for garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated – (optional)
- 1 medium potato (125g) peeled and diced
- 450g carrots, washed and chopped
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- To serve – chilli flakes (optional)
A bowl of heaven on a winter’s day, this soup is sure to warm you up. Sweet carrots partnered with tasty garlic, ginger and creamy coconut milk, this soup is a delicious treat for a chilly lunchtime.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the chopped shallots and fry for 3 minutes, stir in the garlic and ginger (if using) and fry for a further minute. Add the diced potato and carrots and fry for 2 minutes, then add the stock and coconut milk. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the potato and carrots are tender.
- Ladle the mixture into a food processor or blender (this may need to be done in two batches) and blend until smooth. Add the snipped salad cress and whizz again. Return to the pan, season to taste and reheat. Then serve sprinkled with the extra snipped salad cress, chilli flakes and cracked black pepper.