Salad Cress Mash with Sausages and Red Wine Gravy
You Will Need
For the sausages:
- 8 quality sausages, grilled
For the mashed potato:
- 1 ½ kg King Edward Potatoes
- 100g butter
- 100ml milk
- 2 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 2 punnets of salad cress, chopped
For the red wine & onion gravy
- 25g butter
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 sprigs of Thyme
- ½ bottle of red wine
- 400ml rich beef stock
- A dash of Worcester Sauce
- A pinch of black pepper and salt
A hearty dish for autumnal nights, this is a true winter warmer. Juicy sausages nestled between light mashed potato finished off with the peppery kick of salad cress and a rich gravy, this dish is the perfect meal for all the family.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks and steam until tender for about 20 minutes. Cook the sausages according to the packet’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy by melting the butter in a shallow pan, add the onions and thyme and gently sauté until light golden and soft. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for two minutes. Add the red wine and reduce by half, then add the beef stock and allow to simmer for ten minutes. Add the Worcester sauce and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Once the potatoes have been drained and are dry, add the butter, milk and mustard and mash until smooth. Fold in the chopped salad cress just before serving.
- Transfer the mashed potato into a large serving bowl and garnish with any remaining salad cress. Place the sausages on a serving plate and pour the gravy into a serving jug. Once prepared, serve immediately.
Serves: 2 - 6