280g peeled weight of floury potatoes
200g undyed smoked haddock
250g skinned salmon fillets
Cracked black pepper
Zest and juice of half a lemon
30g pea shoots roughly chopped plus 15g for garnish
10ml (2tsp) tartar sauce
1 egg beaten
85g white breadcrumbs preferably a day or two old
60ml (4tbsp) vegetable or sunflower oil for frying
1. Place potatoes in a pan and cover with boiling water, add a pinch of salt and return to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender but not breaking. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, place the haddock and salmon in a large microwaveable dish squeeze over the lemon juice and add a couple of twists of cracked black pepper, cover the dish. Cook on medium power for approximately 4 - 5 minutes, allow to stand for 5 minutes after cooking. Lift fish out of dish onto a plate to cool slightly.
3. Mash the potatoes; add the lemon zest, chopped pea shoots and tartar sauce.
4. Flake the fish into large chunks and mix together with the potato mixture, don't break up the fish too much. Put aside to cool.
5. Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl and place breadcrumbs on a plate. Divide the fish mixture into 4 and shape into cakes. Coat each cake with egg and then toss in the breadcrumbs so it is lightly coated, cover and chill for 45 minutes.
6. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, fry fish cakes over a medium heat for approximately 15 minutes, turning after every 3 - 4 minutes until each side is golden and heated through. Serve garnished with pea shoots and desired sauce.