Roasted Pumpkin & Beetroot Salad with Goat’s Cheese and Salad Cress
You Will Need
- 1kg pumpkin, cut into wedges
- 1 bulb garlic, broken into cloves, unpeeled
- 500g cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200g pearl barley, boiled in salted water for 30 mins.
- 400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 250g soft fresh goat’s cheese
- 2 punnets salad cress
For the dressing:
- 100ml olive oil
- 25ml cider vinegar
- 2tbsp honey
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper and salt
Pumpkin is not just for Halloween with this scarily tasty dish. Roasted to perfection with sweet, earthy beetroot, combined with peppery salad cress, crunchy chick peas and pearl barley topped with creamy goat’s cheese. This wholesome dish is a sure winner for lunch or dinner.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Toss the pumpkin, garlic cloves, beetroot and thyme in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread out on a non-stick baking sheet (or use baking parchment or non-stick foil) and bake for 30-35 minutes until tender and golden. Meanwhile, boil the pearl barley until al dente and rinse the chick peas.
- Combine the pumpkin, beetroot, garlic, pearl barley, chick peas and one of the punnets of salad cress in a bowl, discarding the thyme. The skin on the garlic should slip off easily now.
- Make the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients, seasoning to taste and drizzle over the vegetables.
- Tip the mixture into a suitable serving dish or plate and top with the goat’s cheese broken into pieces and the remaining salad cress.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 – 35 minutes