Pea Shoots, Beetroot and Goat’s Cheese Quiche
You Will Need
For the pastry
- 200g wholemeal flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 100g butter, cubed
- 3 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 1 x 70g bag pea shoots, reserve a few for garnish and cut the remainder into thirds
- 225g cooked beetroot, cut into cubes
- 1 red onion – medium, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 100g goat’s cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 225g milk
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
Creamy goat’s cheese, sweet beetroot and fresh pea shoots make a winning combination in this delicious quiche. Perfect for lunch, dinner or even a snack, this dish is yummy hot or cold.
- Make the pastry by placing the flour into a bowl, add the butter cubes and rub in with finger tips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the water, mix together and then bring together with hands into a ball. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the pastry to fit a fluted 20cm loose bottomed flan tin.
- Bake blind by adding greaseproof paper to the middle and sides of the pastry case and filling with baking beans. Cook in a preheated oven 190°/170°C/Gas Mark 5 for 10 minutes, remove beans and greaseproof, gently prick the base in a few places but not going through the base pastry, return to the oven and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion wedges on a moderate heat for 4 – 5 minutes. Place half of the onion into the base of the flan dish followed by three quarters of the beetroot, half the pea shoots and half the goat’s cheese.
- Whisk the eggs, sour cream and milk in a bowl and season. Pour into the flan dish and then add the remaining ingredients, press them gently down into the egg mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until tinged with brown and the egg mixture is set. Allow to cool slightly before cutting and garnishing with the remaining pea shoots.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6